[mythtv-users] Comcast just made things worse

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Thu May 6 11:45:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 1:03 AM, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
> Depends. My understanding of the must carry rule is that in order for it to apply, the broadcaster must request that their station be carried, and provide signal to the cable head end free of charge.
> If the broadcaster wants to charge the cable company to carry the signal, the must carry rule does not apply.

That is pretty much correct.  Most broadcast channels demand money
from the cable company to carry their signal.  Then they turn around
and demand more money for advertising because they have a larger
market.  The must carry rule doesn't apply unless the broadcast
channel requests their signal is carried for free.

If the original poster can't receive the OTA signal he should contact
their local broadcasters and ask why they are not pressing the cable
company to carry their signal.  They are probably in the middle of
negotiations and the comment by the phone answerer about dropping
channels is a bluff.

-Ryan