[mythtv-users] How to ensure STB is on

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Thu May 6 01:46:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Christian Szpilfogel <chrisznews4 at rogers.com
> wrote:

> On 05/05/2010 1:37 AM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
>

>> Ah, that is excellent.  Now I can understand how the commands are
>> formatted.  Using Mike's suggestion of the root menu, I was able to use his
>> code to reliably always set the STB to an on state.  The command used is
>> 00487C09.  So control command, subunit type 9, subunit id 0, pass through
>> (7C), operand root menu (9), followed by a second quadlet set to 0.
>>
> ok. I was just chatting with Mike on IRC and I confirmed this is correct.
> 7C is the panel command effectively to emulate button presses on the front
> panel (or remote). Most of the commands do need the 2nd quadlet even if
> there are no parameters. My SA boxes failed to respond to them (other than
> channel change) but it appears the Motorola boxes are friendlier.
>
> The rest of the commands are in avc1394.h under the panel section of
> definitions. If you use the root_menu command when the STB is not showing
> the "press menu" then it probably shows the menu so you may also want to
> follow this with EXIT which I think is x0D. I would expect EXIT is benign if
> you are at the idle screen.

Yes, good idea.

>> I was able to google a version 3.0 of that document, which has sections on
>> descriptors and commands for obtaining them.  Looks like this might allow
>> you to enumerate subunits and discover other info about them.  At this point
>> I haven't had a chance to read that section carefully.
>>
> Jerry can you send me a link, please. Perhaps my google-fu is off.

No problem.  I would have sent it earlier, but I couldn't find it again from
my work computer.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=avc_general_30.pdf

<http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=avc_general_30.pdf>That
should bring it right up, a single hit.  If it doesn't, let me know and I
can email you off list.

> If you can confirm which code sequences work, I can update the code to make
> it more generic. However you look capable, so feel free to make the changes
> and I can include it. I'm fine either way.

Sure, I can make those changes, except while I was writing this message
(which actually took quite some time, between breaking for dinner and
getting the kids ready for bed), it looks like Mike beat me to it.

Speaking of which, Mike, what do you think of the suggestion that -m take a
parameter with it, which is a delay (milliseconds, perhaps), which the
6200ch will sleep after doing the MENU command?  That way one could do
6200ch -m 1000 -e channel_number, all in one go.  In any case, good work.
 I'll try running your updated code, and I'd be happy to play with the
ordering that commands get executed in if the channel number doesn't get run
in the right place in the sequence.

-Jerry