[mythtv-users] How to ensure STB is on

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Wed May 5 05:10:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 8:01 PM, M.A.E.M. Hanson <hansonorders at verizon.net>wrote:

>  Interesting theory. If true though (that is, if there is video of a
>> screen saver being output), how come my HD-PVR records a 0-length
>> file when the box is pseudo-off? I don't have my box hooked directly
>> to a tv, so I can't test to see if this is true for my STB. Hm, I
>> wonder if this is a setup/configuration option?
>>
>> Can you point me at info about how to send a MENU command? I'd be
>> happy to mod 6200ch if I understood the protocol.
>>

> I'm at a loss for why your HD-PVR records zero bytes.  Maybe I'm way off
> in my line of thinking?  I tested my QIP-6200 (remotely via ssh and VNC)
> a little while ago and I found that if the menu is on (that is, the box
> is "off"), the channel change via 6200ch fails, but recordings via the
> HD-PVR still record--they just record the screen saver.  I put together
> a quick and dirty patch for 6200ch that adds support for the "-q" switch
> that sends the ROOT_MENU command to the QIP-6200.  You can find it here:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/27q42v8
>
> This is against the 6200ch.c posted on the wiki.  Apply and recompile.
> I tested it and it does indeed send the correct MENU command to the STB.
>  However, I have not worked out a way to have it detect that the MENU
> command needs to be sent.

I guess it would have to be either different firmware (is your STB from
Verizon?) or differently configured setup options.  Unfortunately I don't
have a tv near the STB where it is now, so it's a little difficult to check
the options or the firmware version.  The good news is, the ROOT_MENU
command does indeed turn "power" on, as opposed to toggling it!  Thanks for
that, should solve most of the problem.  Too bad I can't get a reliable
status back.

So the subunit type of "panel" seems to be the way to invoke the remote or
front-panel buttons.  I tried playing around with some different subunit
commands with the STB on the off mode, but I couldn't effect a change in the
reported status.

-Jerry