[mythtv-users] OT: Home theatres of the year

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Wed May 5 01:31:14 UTC 2010

Dean Collins <Dean at cognation.net> says:
> Any thoughts?

A lot of really impressive setups!

Content is what is important to me, though. Some of the entries
mention DVRs, but they're almost certainly low-capacity, low-function
cable company-issue models. The only mention of capacity I saw was one
customer's 2TB of iTunes content.

The best part of my MythTV setup is not the 47" LCD panel, or the 5.1
audio. It is being able to pull up any one of 1,300 movies and
TV-shows episodes in a few seconds. Admittedly I'm a single guy and so
don't have to worry about WAF. If I had $50,000 or $100,000 to spend
on a home theater, sure I'd buy a bigger screen and nice leather seats
and perhaps outfit up a soundproofed theater room. I'd certainly want
to reserve a few grand for another RAID 6 array, though; there's no
reason, other than up-front cost, why one can't nowadays get to 5,000
or 10,000 recordings via MythTV.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array