[mythtv-users] How to ensure STB is on

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Tue May 4 20:32:37 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 4:13 PM, M.A.E.M. Hanson <hansonorders at verizon.net>wrote:

> I also have a QIP-6200 for my Verizon service and I believe the key to why
> sa3250cmd always returns status 2 (on) is because the box *is* always on --
> unless it's unplugged. ;)  By which I mean, the power button on the unit or
> remote that controls the unit only puts the box in a standby mode and needs
> to be woken by the MENU button.  If you hook up the QIP-6200 direct to a
> monitor or TV, you'll notice that when it is "off" a floating screen saver
> that tells to you press the MENU key to watch tv.  I've spoken to Christian
> about this in irc, but I've never gotten around to implement something in
> 6200ch to send the MENU command via firewire.

Interesting theory.  If true though (that is, if there is video of a screen
saver being output), how come my HD-PVR records a 0-length file when the box
is pseudo-off?  I don't have my box hooked directly to a tv, so I can't test
to see if this is true for my STB.  Hm, I wonder if this is a
setup/configuration option?

Can you point me at info about how to send a MENU command?  I'd be happy to
mod 6200ch if I understood the protocol.

-Jerry