[mythtv-users] VDPAU 9300 vs 9400 ?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon May 3 14:50:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 12:20 AM, Ed W <lists at wildgooses.com> wrote:
>> I believe that I would need to go to a 240 to actually get something
>> usefully better than an 8400gt? However, a quick search suggests that this
>> is a 70W ish power consumption part, so it's quite a significant item to
>> cool...
>
> No, a GT220 is sufficient to playback 1080i content with the Advanced
> 2x deinterlacer. It's 3D performance isn't much better than a
> 8/9400GT, but it's notably better for VDPAU.

Yep, using a GT220 w/Adv 2x here myself in my primary frontend now,
and yep, it definitely yields even better looking video than my prior
ion frontend.

IMO, the GT220 is probably the best card out there for a myth box
right now, since its got the very latest vdpau feature set (read: can
decode the widest array of codecs of any vdpau-capable cards), enough
shader engines for Advanced 2x deinterlacing on 1080i material, and
doesn't require a 6-pin PCI-e power connector. There don't seem to be
many (any?) fanless versions, but the one I got has a huge heatsink
and a 120mm fan, which runs quietly enough that its a non-issue
(granted, it does block use of the slot next to it, but oh well).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com