[mythtv-users] viewer falls asleep with the EPG open - plasma burn in concerns

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 22:11:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 03/31/2010 05:15 PM, Johnny Walker wrote:
>>
>> So I've had to retest my scenarios now that I have a working
>> xscreensaver. There appears to be different bad behavior happening
>> now.
>>
>> If I set xscreensaver to kick in at 1 minute and then watch a
>> recording sometimes the screensaver kicks in and other times it stays
>> disabled.
>>
>> when it pops up and I'm ssh'd in - I've exported the DISPLAY=:0.0
>> variable and yet 'xdg-screensaver reset' doesn't make it go away.
>>
>> I'm still working on determining the how and when of the
>> xscreensaver's appearance.
>>

> Right, the 1-min timeout is too short for the default (and reasonable) poke
> interval--the poke interval has to be less than half of the screensaver
> timeout.

Yep - Thats what the debug logging I added showed me.

> We won't be changing the default timeout:

Nah - Doesn't seem necessary - I only had it on 1 min for re-mapping
the behavior of the existing screensaver-x11 code. I wonder if I could
determine that's the setting and log an info warning for users.

> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7291
>
> If you plan to use a 1-min timeout, you'll need to add a non-default value
> for the poke interval:
>
> master_backend_host_or_ip='localhost'
> my_host='setyourfrontendhostnamehere'
> my_key='xscreensaverInterval'
> my_value='25'
> wget -O result.xml
> "http://${master_backend_host_or_ip}:6544/Myth/PutSetting?HostName=${my_host}&Key=${my_key}&Value=${my_value}"

meh. I do like what that command shows me I can do though.

> I don't know why xdg-screensaver isn't working.  I haven't done thorough
> testing of it, yet--which is actually a much harder problem than writing the
> code, so I'm /really/ glad you're working it for us!  :)

What I see happening is that the xscreensaver is kicking in and the
ant appears on the screen. Keypresses on the remote (pause and play)
don't always clear it. When I sent 'xdg-screensaver reset' the ant
stopped walking - I was still able to hear the video playing - but
nothing removed the ant from the screen. I'm guessing the ant was on
top of the stack and nothing was clearing, removing or painting over
it.

Now 'xdg-screensaver reset' works as expected when the xscreensaver is
active and we're on the Watch Recordings screen.

There's probably no real problem here as long as the screensaver isn't
set at 1 min. That's the only way I've seen so far to have the
screensaver appear over running video.

-Johnny