[mythtv-users] viewer falls asleep with the EPG open - plasma burn in concerns

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 31 21:33:12 UTC 2010

On 03/31/2010 05:15 PM, Johnny Walker wrote:
> So I've had to retest my scenarios now that I have a working
> xscreensaver. There appears to be different bad behavior happening
> now.
>
> If I set xscreensaver to kick in at 1 minute and then watch a
> recording sometimes the screensaver kicks in and other times it stays
> disabled.
>
> when it pops up and I'm ssh'd in - I've exported the DISPLAY=:0.0
> variable and yet 'xdg-screensaver reset' doesn't make it go away.
>
> I'm still working on determining the how and when of the
> xscreensaver's appearance.

Right, the 1-min timeout is too short for the default (and reasonable)
poke interval--the poke interval has to be less than half of the
screensaver timeout.  We won't be changing the default timeout:

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7291

If you plan to use a 1-min timeout, you'll need to add a non-default
value for the poke interval:

master_backend_host_or_ip='localhost'
my_host='setyourfrontendhostnamehere'
my_key='xscreensaverInterval'
my_value='25'
wget -O result.xml
"http://${master_backend_host_or_ip}:6544/Myth/PutSetting?HostName=${my_host}&Key=${my_key}&Value=${my_value}"

I don't know why xdg-screensaver isn't working.  I haven't done thorough
testing of it, yet--which is actually a much harder problem than writing
the code, so I'm /really/ glad you're working it for us!  :)

Mike