[mythtv-users] Best way to move recordings to tier-2 storage

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 20:50:19 UTC 2010

I record to the local drive(s) in my mythbackend, but occasionally, I feel
the need to move some of this content to my NAS which has more capacity.
Looking for advice on the best way to accomplish this.

I have mythvideo set up to use a NFS-mounted file system on the NAS.  I've
been using the mythrename script to create meaningful file name links, which
I then copy over to the mythvideo directory.  The problem is, I get really
sparse metadata within mythvideo, which I can sorta overcome if create the
right filename or path structure for mythvideo to go discover, as documented
here:  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythVideo_File_Parsing

I thought about using storage groups, but I don't really want to ever record
to the NAS, which could happen based on my understanding of how myth
prioritizes local and remote storage groups.

It looks like mytharchive has the ability to archive a recording to a "file"
rather than an optical drive.  I haven't tried this yet, but I wonder how
well this scales if I wanted to archive a whole season of 30 Rock or
whatever.

What I would really like to do is select a recording or a bunch of
recordings, and in one or two clicks, be able to "archive" the recordings to
the NAS, complete with the rich metadata that I get from the original
recording(s).

Suggestions appreciated.

Larry