[mythtv-users] Black Screen on Startup

Carl Foner foner at usa.net
Sat Mar 27 23:50:14 UTC 2010

After 5 years of using my old mythbox, I'm finally setting up a new one.

I installed LinHES R6.02.00 without a hitch onto a Mac Mini (Late
2006 model with Intel GMA950 graphics). When I hook it up to my TV
(Sony KV-30HS420) via my existing setup (VGA to composite adapter -
plus DVI to VGA adapter for the Mini), it works fine.

When I plug it in directly using a DVI to HDMI cable, I get an
"undefinded video mode number 314". If I press Enter, it lists
options, but I can't select any of them. If I press space to
continue, it will continue booting, then the screen goes black right
when it's trying to launch the GUI. I tried installing the latest
Intel driver (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel), but still
no luck.

Any ideas? I searched around a bit, and I keep running into posts
about overscan and modelines, and I realize I'm a little bit lost.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl