[mythtv-users] Overlapping recordings on SAME channel w/ one tuner

Chris Adams rocket at extremelan.net
Thu Mar 25 23:00:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 10:46 PM, Mike Holden <mythtv at mikeholden.org> wrote:
> Chris Adams wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Jeff Evans <jeffe at tricab.com> wrote:
>>> I'm a myth user since 0.19, now running 0.22, and there is only one
>>> thing that I'm still missing from the commercial PVR's:
>>>
>>> The ability to overlap back2back recordings on the same channel using
>>> one tuner.
>>
>> Use 2 virtual tuners?
>
> Where's that option for my PVR 350? ;-)
>
> Yes, that's a joke in case you missed the smiley!
>
> It's a serious point as well though. I use DVB-T in the UK for most of my recordings,
> and multirec works fine there, so long as there's a still a free virtual tuner.
>
> However I also use a PVR350 to record direct from a Cable STB, and overlapping
> recordings for programs on the same channel would be really handy there.
> --
> Mike Holden

Given that virtual tuners were already built to solve this problem,
the myth devs probably consider a solution to your question as a
corner case.

So you might want to consider hacking together a script to "tack on"
the overlapping portions of the 2 recordings which you wish to have an
overlap, after the fact. The earlier recording gets say 15 minutes of
the later recording tacked onto the end, while the later recording
gets 15 minutes of the earlier one one the start.

Have a look at the doco for the python bindings, you should be able to
get all the recording info you need. (don't forget to update the
start/end times in the database after you're done!)

For best integration with myth you could consider making it a user job.