[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 9.10 sleeping

James Crow crow.jamesm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 19:38:46 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Joseph Kezar <joseph.kezar at gmail.com>wrote:

> I've installed mythbuntu 9.10 on 2 frontends and 1 backend.  When a
> frontend is left alone for an extended period of time and I go to press a
> button on the remote it takes 30-45 seconds  to revive.  Once fully awaken
> and refreshed the frontends performs fine without delays.  Is there some
> kind of low power mode the frontends are entering and how do I turn it off?

My BE on Ubuntu 9.10 did this as well. For me it was an issue with the FE
getting swapped out. I have a quad core system running 64 bit with 4GB of
RAM. I guess as recordings happened Linux swapped out the FE process to make
more room for disk cache. Anyway, I fixed my problem by reducing the
vm.swappiness value in /etc/sysctl.conf.

The line (I had to add) looks like this:
vm.swappiness=10

The Ubuntu default is 60. You can check your current swappiness value by:
cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

I think you can also change the value on the fly with:
sudo echo 10 >> /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

BTW my Mythbuntu 9.10 machine is set at the default of 60 as well.

Cheers,
James