[mythtv-users] Seagate Firmware Could Be Ticking Bomb

Mache Creeger mache at creeger.com
Thu Mar 25 00:35:57 UTC 2010

This may be old news but it was new to me and I believe to others on the list.

I have four 1 TB disk drives setup in RAID5 and the RAID was
mysteriously rebuilding every few days. They are all the same brand,
model, and firmware revision, Seagate ST31000340AS and the firmware was SD15.

If you look on the Internet, this brand, model firmware combination
bricked a lot of drives.

http://www.google.com/search?q=seagate+ST31000340AS+sd15&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I would strongly encourage everyone with Seagate 1TB and 1.5TB drives
to check their firmware revisions to make sure that they do not
represent a ticking bomb. You can do this with the smartctl --all
/dev/<drive name> command. I upgraded all four of my drives to the
current firmware revision SD1A and my RAID seems to be more stable.

-- Mache