[mythtv-users] Does 3d performance matter at all with Myth?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Mar 24 02:55:33 UTC 2010

On 3/23/2010 22:26, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>  wrote:
>
>> Also, running multiple independent
>> interfaces can be difficult, and generally requires having two separate
>> graphics cards, one for each independent X server.
>>
> I'm not following the multiple interfaces part unless you are talking
> about the BluRay/TV part of the outline in which case I understand.

One X server can only have one instance of focus.  If two users are
trying to use applications on the same X server, someone is going to
lose out.  You can run multiple X servers on one system, but generally
they both have to have their own dedicated graphics card.

>>> Related question, is anyone using the nvidia Quadro processors as
>>> opposed to the more standard desktop GeForce series? There are some
>>> very nice Quadro cards without fans.
>>>
>> The Quadro cards are nothing more than their GeForce counterparts, with some
>> additional APIs exposed to accelerate certain tasks in some professional
>> applications (usually CAD/CAM software).
>>
> OK then I'm goign to have to study the docs a bit more on this
> account. I thought I was seeing features that were very different.
> Probably I'm just mistaken.

The Quadro cards will generally receive much better technical support.
They also tend to have specialty features, such as having more outputs,
having dual-link support long before consumer cards did, supporting
things like framelock/genlock, providing quad-buffering to properly
support true stereoscopic output.