[mythtv-users] Looking for Dual Head Help

Martin Kleinschmidt mk at theochem.uni-duesseldorf.de
Sun Mar 14 17:50:21 UTC 2010

On So, 14 M?r 2010, John Welch wrote:

>On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 5:00 AM, Martin Kleinschmidt
><mk at theochem.uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> more than a year ago, you wrote on the mythtv list about your problems
>> with kde4 and dual head setup and problems with the mouse focus not
>> returning to mythtv.
>> I am experiencing the same problems. Have you been able to solve this?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>>   ...martin
>>
>Hi Martin,
>
>No, I was never able to solve this.  On this system where I have the
>monitor and LCD TV connected I switch to XFCE or Gnome when I want to
>use both at the same time.
>
>I've actually just started to revisit this issue myself because there
>have been many updates to KDE since I last looked into it.  I haven't
>really gotten too far, but I was hoping things had changed.  Based on
>your post I'm guessing the issues may still exist.

Yes, it still exists.

short summary:

I am running gentoo linux, mythtv version 0.22_p22869, kde version
4.3.3, xorg version 1.6.5-r1, fvwm version 2.5.28.
for my xorg.conf (only relevant parts) see end of post.

I want to have:
mythtv on TV (screen1), "normal" desktop on TFT (screen0).
what I have:
kde login on screen0, black screen1.
after login: normal kde desktop on screen0, black screen1.
I can start mythtv on screen1 with

DISPLAY=:0.1 mythfrontend

everything fine, until I switch the mouse/keyboard focus to screen0, then
focus cannot return to screen1. I think that's exactly what you
described.

whith kde3.5 this was no problem. After login there used to be a fully
functional desktop on screen1, and focus could travel from screen1 to
screen0 and back  without problems.

what I do as a workaround is the following:
start kde, then on screen0 in a terminal:

DISPLAY=":0.1" fvwm -s

this starts fvwm on screen0 (still black!)
(I did absolutely no configuration for fvwm)
then left-clicking on screen1 opens a small menu which lets me open an
xterm, and in thix xterm I call mythfrontend.
In this setup I am able to move the mouse from one screen to the other
and back, and the focus will follow.
But this is no more than a workaround. Too comlicated for telling my
wife "This is the way you have to operate the TV in everyday use" ;-)

This workaround could be optimized if one could find a way to tell fvwm
to start mythfrontend aoutomatically on startup, by I have not been able
to do so. Have tried adding

AddToFunc InitFunction
+ I Exec exec /usr/bin/mythfrontend

to ~/.fvwm/config, but this has no effect.

/etc/x11/xorg.conf:
================================

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Hyundai"
[...]
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "TV"
[...]
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "nvidia0"
        Driver "nvidia"
        BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option "NvAgp" "1"
        Option "UseDisplayDevice" "dfp-0"
        Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "nvidia1"
        Driver "nvidia"
        # TV Out Setup
        Option      "TVStandard" "PAL-G"
        Option      "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
        Option      "TVOverScan" "0.6"
        BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option "NvAgp" "1"
        Screen 1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier  "Screen0"
        Device      "nvidia0"
        Monitor     "Hyundai"
        DefaultDepth 24
        Subsection "Display"
                Depth       24
                Modes       "1280x1024"
        EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier  "Screen1"
        Device      "nvidia1"
        Monitor     "TV"
        DefaultDepth 24
        Subsection "Display"
                Depth       24
                Modes       "800x600"
        EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier  "AGP"
        Screen      0 "Screen0"
        Screen      1 "Screen1" rightOf "Screen0"
EndSection