[mythtv-users] Fwd: Further Notice of Seagate Hard Drive Class Action and Proposed Settlement

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Fri Mar 12 19:37:12 UTC 2010

On 3/12/2010 1:16 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

> What about the extra power consumed by the extra bit in ECC RAM, and the power
> used by the buffer chips?
>
> Certainly there should be some sort of disclaimer of these factors for all ECC
> RAM.
>
> Plus, I was induced to buy ECC RAM because the "error correcting" feature
> appealed to me as a bad typist. I have been deceived by marketing, since I
> still see errors in my documents that are stored in such RAM.
>
> Legislation is Urgently Needed!

And how many times have you actually seen an OS or BIOS that can successfully cope with DRAM errors when one has ECC/Parity RAM installed?

I used to fix IBM PC's back in the 80's when they all came with Parity RAM.

I never once saw a computer that could cope with RAM going bad and parity protecting it.

Hahaha... You guys crack me up.

  -Ben