[mythtv-users] OT: Formula 1 season starts this sunday.

Brian Phillips brian.phillips at gmx.net
Fri Mar 12 16:03:28 UTC 2010

Aaron wrote:

> My point is "Usually less on-topic than the more technical mythtv-dev
> list". Even if it's frowned upon by some; it is not against any rules
> to post a OT message.

To me, this sounds like you might be misunderstanding what is technical to
mythtv-users and what is technical to mythtv-dev.  AFAIK, mythtv-dev is for
development of mythtv (highly technical) and mythtv-users is for the _use_
of mythtv (fairly technical, but the dev list is more technical).

> So a few OTs thrown in a week; over the hundred's of other more
> technical discussions doesn't really seem that bad. And can be easily
> remedied by creating a rule that deletes OT: topics.
>
> But after I posted I was thinking... why can't we have the powers at
> be create a "MythTV-OT" list? Then those of us that wouldn't mind
> having OT discussions have a place to chat without being chastised by
> those that only want to deal with technical discussions?

They don't want to pay for the bandwidth/processing to handle every topic of
every niche group spread the world over?

Just my opinion though.  They'll have to let you in on their reasoning if
you'd like.  All I know is they haven't created it, and they probably have
reasons for not creating it.

Brian