[mythtv-users] ComCast Champaign finally transmitting scte56 codes

jon jheizermythtv at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 21:15:41 UTC 2010

On 03/11/2010 02:45 PM, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> James Oltman wrote:
>
>>      Wow, talking about timing.  I just now opened a letter from comcast
>>      saying they are dropping analog and will start contacting customers
>>      about getting settop boxes in the coming weeks.  Bah.  I like having
>>      very basic cheap cable and not 5 stb.  Not sure what I am going to
>>      do now.
>>
>>      Jon
>>

>> Dang it.  I guess my Hauppauge PVRs will be obsolete.
>>
> Are they analog encoders? Check out:

The letter I got specifically says ""The transition to digital clarity
will require you to have a digital set-top box or digital adapter on all
TVs connected to the cable in order to continue receiving your Extended
Basic line-up.  Comcast will provide you with one digital set-top box
and up to two digital adapters at no additional cost. ... Ths is no a
promotion but will be included as part of your service package."

What they don't say is if the "service package" is going to cost more or
not.  My plan is to either ride this out or switch to dish as I can get
a pretty cheap plan from them with HD and survive with only 2 STB if I
have to.  Having 2 OTA tuners covers most of my concurrent shows.
Thankfully Discover, Sci Fi and such repeat their shows enough I could
live with only 1 STB as part of my myth system.

Jon