[mythtv-users] Totally lost ...

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Mar 11 01:04:53 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 05:33:27 pm Casey K wrote:
> Hi everybody. Well I think MythTV looks really kewl and I would love to use
> it only I can't get it to work and I'm totally lost. Everything I read on
> message boards is just getting me more confused. Can anybody help me - like
> walk me through how to get it working?
>
> It seems like it's so close to working but when I go to "Watch Live TV" all
> I get is a kind of test pattern with a "1" in the middle of the screen and
> then after about 5 seconds it puts me back at the menu.

That sounds like your video driver identifying the screen, somehow things were
unhappy and unable to produce video.

It might seem counter-intuitive, but watching live TV is probably the least-
used function of MythTV, and is used mainly by new users. Most of us just
record programs, which allows them to be commflagged so they can be watched
without commercials.

Go through the docs and the Wiki, they are pretty good.

A lot depends on what capture hardware you are using.