[mythtv-users] Four webcams, time shifting

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Mar 8 03:28:23 UTC 2010

David Whyte wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Bruce <bruce at brucelin.ca> wrote:
>
>> My initial thoughts were to try to do this with VideoLAN, but it just
>> doesn't have the same PVR (i.e. timeshifting) capabilities. I could probably
>> kludge together the 1 minute delay, but the longer times become a headache.
>>
>> It's basically timeshifting I'm trying to do, so a PVR package might be the
>> best bet. I gather MythTV can take webcams as inputs, as long as I have the
>> right Linux-compatible webcam?
>>

> Not sure, but zoneminder might be an option.  It will allow you to
> record webcams to disk and play it back.  I imagine you can modify the
> URL query to somehow always play back video that is 1min, 1hour or
> even 1day old or something.

I'd seriously look at motion.  You could do this with a few scripts.

Myth is way too heavy for this very lightweight application.

http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

Capture the frames, store them, then play them back.

You'd need some CPU horsepower and mando hardrive space but the rest is
easy.

--Yan

--

   o__