[mythtv-users] User Job for cropping HD OTA to 4:3?

Jon Upham jon.upham at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 16:07:37 UTC 2010

Hi.  Anyone have a user job that crops an HD OTA broadcast of a 4:3 program
such that the black bars on the left and right are trimmed off?  The problem
I'm encountering is that when I make a DVD to show on my 4:3 TV, the 4:3
image is "letter boxed" and then is "shrunken" with black bars on top,
bottom, left, and right of the program.  Turns a 35" TV into a 19" TV quite
nicely, but that's not good to impress the family, if you know what I mean.

I'm thinking a mencoder, transcode, or nuvexport user job (or other?) that I
can set up after I remove commercials would be nice to start.  Any help
would be appreciated.  (I've been searching the web for such a job, and just
when some threads about get there, they end.  I've played with --crop, but
I'm obviously missing something to get things to work right).

Thanks,

Jon