[mythtv-users] Emulate a lower desktop resolution for web browsing/flash

Chris Adams rocket at extremelan.net
Fri Mar 5 04:37:33 UTC 2010

Hi,

My TV isn't big enough to read text when browsing websites (we sit far
away) and flash performance is awful at 1920x1080.
So I'm looking into ways to decrease the desktop resolution.

But my TV (Samsung 46" F series) only supports 1920x1080 via the VGA
connector - any lower resolution and it jumps to 1280x1024 which is
4:3 and makes widescreen flash content play squashed.

I'm planning to emulate a lower resolution but keep the TV at
1920x1080. I'm hoping to write a compiz plugin which, without changing
X's resolution, renders windows to a configurable size screen and uses
the GPU to scale the result up. GPU scaling should the result looks
nice without taxing the CPU. End result: smooth fullscreen flash,
readable text from the couch, and no use of firefox's awful image
scaling for full-page zoom!

I can't see anything on google but I might be looking for the wrong
words - has this been tried before?