[mythtv-users] Heads up - Gentoo 0.22 Upgrade Coming Soon

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 23:59:23 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Richard Freeman
<r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
> In the next week Gentoo will start to release 0.22 to stable users. Since
> Gentoo probably has the bulk of the cases where the mysql utf8 issues
> reside, there might be some traffic on-list about this.
>
> A news announcement will be sent out in advance warning people about what to
> expect, directing them to the wiki, and also directing them to a Gentoo
> forum entry dealing with issues.
>
> If all goes well we shouldn't end up with too many broken marriages...

I just did the upgrade, 2 weeks ago.  My WAF factor is mostly still
intact.  Backed up the db first using mysqldump.

MySQL on gentoo uses UTF8 by default, so you will have to convert to
latin1.  Not hard, and the mythtv wiki instructions are quite good.
All your front ends and back ends must have matching /etc/locatime
timezone files otherwise the front ends will bail on startup.

I had frontends on PST8PDT and the backend was on America/Los_Angeles.
 It's quick and easy to fix this once you understand what's going on,
just copy the appropriate file from /usr/share/zoneinfo.

You have to be patient the first time a frontend starts up and tail -F
mythbackend.log.  It takes a while to run the upgrade scripts.
Plugins (video and music) are also upgrading their schemas, so be
patient and watch for the log to finish.

You'll probably also want to add vdpau to your USE flags, if you have
an nvidia video card, before emerging 0.22 on your frontends.