[mythtv-users] Interlaced Mpeg 2 External Playback Issues

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 02:15:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Calvin Harrigan
<charriglists at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Greetings All,
>    I've been happy with the upgrade from 0.21 -> 0.22 and the support of
> vdpau.  The last thing that I'm having trouble with is playing recorded
> programs outside of mythtv.  I use VLC to access a share on my mythtv box
> that has been populated by links from mythrename.  Files that were recorded
> before the update plays fine, both interlaced and progressive.  Since the
> upgrade, I can only seem to playback newly recorded progressive recordings.
>  I record SD using a PVR250 and HD using a HDHR.  SD is from a dishnetwork
> receiver, HD from OTA.  VLC will start to play the files then it'll stutter
> after a second then it'll sound garbled and chipmunky (new word), then it'll
> eventually stop playing.  This is the same for both SD and HD interlaced
> content.  If I play back progressive content (all hd)  it plays beautifully.

If you are in the US (which I believe you are from dishnetwork
comment), and grab OTA on a HDHrun, your HD recordings are all
interlaced.  There are no OTA progressive broadcasts in the states..

>  Again old pre 0.22 recordings of all denominations play fine.
>  Additionally I've tried vlc under linux and windows, windows media player
> also behave similarly. Any ideas?  I've exhausted my knowledge on how
> recordings are made on mythtv.  Thanks

Can you provide output from analyzing a file from before and after the
upgrade with mediainfo or something..  ffmpeg -i, anything..

Are you commflagging or anything where you were not before?

-Greg