[mythtv-users] Rebuild system, keep recordings info

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 1 00:20:29 UTC 2010

On 02/28/2010 04:44 PM, Phill Edwards wrote:
> I need to rebuild my system because a) I want to go back to Fedora
> from Centos and b) there's something weird going on with my recordings
> which is resulting in at least 50% of recordings showing "Recording
> unavailable" when I try to watch them. I think the channel scan data
> has got messed up, which means I can't restore the database as that
> will just bring over the old messed up channel data into the nice
> pristine new system.

Yep.  So you restore the /complete/ database, then you use Delete all
capture cards (not Delete all capture cards on <hostname>) and Delete
all video sources to clean out the bad Input Connections configuration:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034

>   I'm wondering what's the best way to recreate the
> recordings so they can be watched through Watch Recordings. I know
> that some people recommend just putting them in Watch Videos, but I
> don't want to do this.
>
> I've seen some people talk about restoring the record and recorded
> tables (see http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/342014#342014)
> but I'm not sure how well this works or if there are other tables that
> need to be restored as well on 0.22. If this does work on 0.22 it
> would seem like an easy option. Does this also restore seek data? Is
> this the more complete list:
>   record  recorded  recordedcredits  recordedfile  recordedmarkup
> recordedprogram  recordedrating  recordedseek  recordmatch  oldprogram
>   oldrecorded

If you feel you must throw away the baby with the bath water, at least
use the restore script to do it:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup
.  However, there's no good reason for you to do one based on your
description.

> I've also seen people mention Myth.rebuilddatabase.pl
> (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth.rebuilddatabase.pl) but this is
> deprecated and seems to have a flaw where recording file size has to
> be added later via an additional bit of scripting.
>
> There's some instructions for this at
> http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/tips/migrate-recordings.html which
> restore these tables, but I'm not sure if this is still valid for
> 0.22: record recorded oldrecorded recordedprogram recordedrating
> recordedmarkup recordedseek.
>
> Or should I just do it this way -
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup
>
> Can someone please advise the best way? I don't want to get it wrong
> and stuff up a brand new build!

Again, use the restore script from the last link with --partial_restore
if you like pain with no gain or, better, just do a complete restore and
then Delete all capture cards and Delete all video sources.

Mike