[mythtv-users] Firewire no longer required on HD STBs

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Jun 30 18:37:09 UTC 2010

Eric Sharkey wrote:

>The whole point of the FCC mandate for firewire on cable boxes was a
>build-it-and-they-will-come situation to encourage television
>manufacturers to produce firewire enabled televisions.  The mandate
>went into effect on April 1, 2004, and yet TVs with firewire are still
>almost nonexistant.  They built it, but no one came.

But then there is the question ...

was it actually usable for anything useful ? I mean looking at it
from the TV manufacturers point of view - was it worth the effort of
implementing it if they still had to connect the box via
HDMI/Component/Something to show channels not available via FireWire ?

I can see this ethernet option being the same - unless there is
**just one** standard across all manufacturers of cable boxes and all
networks, then the TV manufacturers aren't going to put the effort
into supporting any of them.

--
Simon Hobson