[mythtv-users] Recordings disappeared

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 12:26:43 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 7:08 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 8:38 PM, Brent Bolin <brent.bolin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Something odd just happened that I've never seen.  I've recently
>> upgraded from 4 digital tuners to 6.  Not sure if it's related, but
>> would think so.
>>
>> When I go to one of the front ends to play the recording show in
>> recorded shows mythtv complains -
>>
>> Pops a dialog and says
>> recording unavaliable
>> the file for this recording can not be found
>>
>> Interesting the recording shows up in mythweb as a recorded show with
>> no icon and the letter "B" for file size.
>
> Generally, what you're seeing is that your HD tuner did not lock on the
> station and recorded a zero-byte file (no recording).  This usually occurs
> (in my case when it has happened) due to a driver error or other hardware
> problem which has put the tuner into a bad state.  Sometimes for me, this
> requires a full power off to reset the card and then on boot, everything is
> fine.  Sometimes this occurs only with one of my two HD tuners (same brand,
> same card) and can even be harder to troubleshoot.  Normally when this
> is occurring, I can shut down Myth and run some of the dvb-utils like
> dvbsnoop and see that no data is coming across the card.
> Kevin

Thanks for both of your replies.

I've heard that dirty word "zero-byte on this list but didn't know what it was.

Currently only using the option of reserved space that mythtv thinks
it needs(off 0).  I can try increasing that.  I have a cron job that
reports disk space every hour and right about that time `df -h` was
showing about 9GB.  So when this happened it might have been even
less.

I'm also wondering if it's something my wife has a tendency to do.
She likes to "skip" ahead as apposed to "jump forward" through parts
of programs.  Hitting the key numerous times.

For a couple of hours after this happened I scheduled max recordings
to keep all tuners busy.  Didn't see the problem.