[mythtv-users] Recordings disappeared

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 12:08:51 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 8:38 PM, Brent Bolin <brent.bolin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Something odd just happened that I've never seen.  I've recently
> upgraded from 4 digital tuners to 6.  Not sure if it's related, but
> would think so.
>
> When I go to one of the front ends to play the recording show in
> recorded shows mythtv complains -
>
> Pops a dialog and says
> recording unavaliable
> the file for this recording can not be found
>
> Interesting the recording shows up in mythweb as a recorded show with
> no icon and the letter "B" for file size.

Generally, what you're seeing is that your HD tuner did not lock on the
station and recorded a zero-byte file (no recording).  This usually occurs
(in my case when it has happened) due to a driver error or other hardware
problem which has put the tuner into a bad state.  Sometimes for me, this
requires a full power off to reset the card and then on boot, everything is
fine.  Sometimes this occurs only with one of my two HD tuners (same brand,
same card) and can even be harder to troubleshoot.  Normally when this
is occurring, I can shut down Myth and run some of the dvb-utils like
dvbsnoop and see that no data is coming across the card.

Kevin