[mythtv-users] I thought I understood HDMI audio, but...

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Mon Jun 28 03:30:40 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Don Brett <dlbrett at zoominternet.net> wrote:

> I got the definite impression that most people did the two cable thing.  If
> you don't use two cables, how do you get the audio onto the HDMI?  I thought
> it was just recently added into ALSA, so how did mythtv users do it before
> that?

As I said, older nVidia cards (8xxx and 9xxx) cards either had no HDMI
audio support (requiring support on the TV end for a separate audio
input - often an optical SPDIF input, but occasionally a stereo RCA
analogue input like you describe) or an onboard header, which allowed
you to hook up a cable from a SPDIF output on your
soundcard/motherboard to the graphics card, where it was muxed with
the display. This way, ALSA only had to deal with a normal SPDIF
output, and the graphics card did the rest of the work.

> To add one complication, the new TV has the two cable method show in the
> manual, pairing the "HDMI input #2" and the "PC audio input"  together, but
> it doesn't seem to work.  I may find that the multiplexed method is my only
> choice.  Suggestions?

First, check the manual for your graphics card to see if it supports a
digital audio input. If not, you'll have to work out how to make your
TV work - I'm afraid I can't help you there. Presumably it's SUPPOSED
to work, but I still suspect you may have missed a setting somewhere
that puts it into that mode.

- Chris