[mythtv-users] .24 Audio results: mixed

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 06:44:30 UTC 2010

Hi

On 25 June 2010 16:36, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
> (I'm replying to both your recent posts in this message)
>
> The detail that I was missing was that you can not tell from software if you are outputting analog or digital. This explains a
> lot about why the menus confuse me so much.

Yes, unfortunately, as far as ALSA is concerned, a 7.1 digital
interface is the same as a 7.1 analog interface. You give it PCM data,
and it put it on the sound card.

The only thing that differentiate them is one as the ability to pass
AC3 or DTS in digital form..

> Yes disabling AC3 and DTS and enabling LPCM/Analog enabled the 7.1 option.
> I did not realize those still applied after selecting ALSA:surround71, I thought that implied analog output.
>
> Perhaps a set of radio buttons labeled "Analog" "HDMI" "SPDIF" to let the user inform you as to what he is using would let you
> disable the selections that don't make any sense.

I thought about this...
But while it would simplify the life of analog user (you check it and
that's it), for digital people, you will have to select digital, *and*
still check PCM (for the case an amp is connected via hdmi, but only
handles stereo PCM or AC3/DTS), and AC3 and DTS...

So you end up with one extra setting for a lot of people ...

It would greatly simplify explaining what's going on though..
like at the right of the device name, you have an analog/digital check-box.
Select Analog, you then only have to configure the number of speakers

Select Digital, you then have to configure PCM, AC3 or DTS

issue is going to be for people upgrading, what would be the ideal default ?