[mythtv-users] another scheduling mishandling

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Jun 24 21:07:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 15:59 -0500, David Engel wrote:

> Yes, you can use channel priorities to do exactly that.  That's one of
> the reasons they were added.  As Mike likes to warn, though, you
> should understand the impact before you go crazy with prioriies.

Indeed, and I do like to heed his warnings (most of the time anyway).

But TBH, it seems to me that the more global "tuner priority" makes more
sense here.  I thought I was getting the impression though, from the
other thread about priorities that the tuner priority was not considered
at this point of the scheduling?

So is tuner priority or bumping up the channel priorities of all of the
channels on a given tuner (that you want to prefer) the more correct way
of going about preferring a digital tuner, over an analog tuner?  AND(!)
trying as much as possible to select combinations of channels that
result in the most episodes being recorded from the digital tuner as is
possible -- i.e. jugging showings around so that more than one on a
digital multiplex is chosen over distributing them out to single channel
analog tuners?

It's a shame most shows are on summer hiatus right now because it
doesn't give good opportunity to see how well this scheduling of
multiple shows and multiplexing digital tuners works.  Come September
though...  :-)

b.