[mythtv-users] another scheduling mishandling

David Engel david at istwok.net
Thu Jun 24 20:59:25 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 03:59:52PM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 14:00 -0500, David Engel wrote:
> >
> > Using mythfrontend, please go into Manage Recordings / Recording
> > Rules, find your rule for The Office and then press Enter.  Then go
> > Schedule Info / Upcoming Recordings.  Do you see tonight's entries for
> > WGRZ 11, and if so, what is their status (the single letter on the far
> > right)?
>
> Very interesting.
>
> I have two entries for The Office at 9PM on the two (1 analog and 1
> digital copy of the) WGRZ stations.
>
> The one on the digital station is a subtitled and descriptioned episode
> and has an "O" (episode recoreded on a different channel in this
> timeslot) on far right
>
> The other, on the analog version of the same station has no subtitle and
> is the standard generic description for an unsubtitled episode and has a
> "2" (analog tuner) on the far right.
>
> So a couple of interesting things:
>
>      1. why does one station have an episode listing and the other
>         doesn't

You had bad timing when your mythfilldatabase ran in relation to TMS
updating their listings.

>      2. why is the scheduler considering a generic episode and a
>         non-generic episode the same?
>              1. is the same callsign overriding the fact that these
>                 would otherwise be different episodes (episode number is
>                 different as are subtitle and description)

The scheduler isn't entirely considering them the same.  Some
information is just getting lost in the wash.  Specifically, the
identifiable, digital episode is considered as previously recorded or
a repeat (depending on your recording rule) and doesn't try to
schedule it.  The generic, analog episode gets scheduled.  After
scheduling, the scheduler condenses the results down based on
starttime and callsign the previously recorded/repeat entry gets
thrown away and the will record entry is kept.  The "O" status (for
other showing) shows up because a program with the same title will be
recorded on another channel with the same callsign.

> I guess that still leaves the question, should I increase the priority
> of the digital versions of all of my channels to try to encourage
> recording the digital showings and also try to encourage multiplex use
> of the digital tuner, or will increasing channel priorities not help in
> that situation?

Yes, you can use channel priorities to do exactly that.  That's one of
the reasons they were added.  As Mike likes to warn, though, you
should understand the impact before you go crazy with prioriies.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net