[mythtv-users] Finding an IR blaster, really that hard?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Jun 24 15:00:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:52 AM, David Brieck Jr. <dbrieck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 9:24 AM, David Brieck Jr. <dbrieck at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I've already read these two pages in the Wiki, but I'm still as confused
>> > as
>> > before. Jarod always seems to recommend MCE remotes on the list, but in
>> > searching for one online it's nearly impossible to find an original MS
>> > remote, and I am not clear on which, if any of these other brands
>> > support blasting.
>> Of course, part of the fun is mapping those to a product's marketing
>> name/packaging... But I have now five completely different models, and
>> transmit works on every single one of them...
>
> Wow! Thank you so much!
> Physically, if it has a blaster, it will have a separate cable that plugs
> into it, correct? I've seen a few on websites that look like they have
> a receiver but no blaster. Of course, so many simply claim MCE
> compatibility, not that they are THE "MCE Remote".

Yeah, "MCE compatibility" doesn't guarantee its a device driven by
mceusb these days, unfortunately. The thing to do is to look for an
MCE-compatible device that has transmit support as well, as that's
highly likely going to be an mceusb-driven device. And yes, there's a
separate cable that plugs into the back side of each and every mceusb
device I've seen (all of them I've seen have two blaster ports, but
most only come with one blaster cable).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com