[mythtv-users] HDPVR sale at newegg

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Tue Jun 22 22:13:42 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Devin Heitmueller
> <dheitmueller at kernellabs.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 4:57 PM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
>>> The HD-PVR can't record closed captions because there aren't any in
>>> composite video.  It *might* work for s-video input, but why would
>>> anyone use an HD-PVR for s-video recording.
>>
>> Both composite and S-Video contain closed captioning info.  It's
>> *component* video that lacks it.
>
> Hmm.  In addition to my mythtv, I still have a TiVo that my wife still
> uses.  It connects via composite (or S-Video, I forget which) to my
> A/V receiver, which then connects to the TV via both component and
> HDMI cables.  The receiver converts the composite input to
> component/HDMI output.  The TV can display the captions from the TiVo
> over the component cables, so there must be some way to put the
> caption data in there.

In fairness, component video *can* carry VBI data when configured at
480i or 480p, although whether it works with any given receiver or is
actually implemented in any source is a total crapshoot (although it
sounds like you're lucky enough to have two products which actually
work in this regards).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs