[mythtv-users] HDPVR sale at newegg

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Jun 22 21:28:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Devin Heitmueller
<dheitmueller at kernellabs.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 4:57 PM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
>> The HD-PVR can't record closed captions because there aren't any in
>> composite video.  It *might* work for s-video input, but why would
>> anyone use an HD-PVR for s-video recording.
>
> Both composite and S-Video contain closed captioning info.  It's
> *component* video that lacks it.

Hmm.  In addition to my mythtv, I still have a TiVo that my wife still
uses.  It connects via composite (or S-Video, I forget which) to my
A/V receiver, which then connects to the TV via both component and
HDMI cables.  The receiver converts the composite input to
component/HDMI output.  The TV can display the captions from the TiVo
over the component cables, so there must be some way to put the
caption data in there.

Eric