[mythtv-users] Run user script at start recording

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Jun 21 15:23:11 UTC 2010

Harry Devine wrote:
> On 06/21/2010 11:09 AM, Brendan Fosberry wrote:
>> Hi all, is there a way to set a user script to execute when livetv or
>> a recording starts?
>>
>> I have a power-on/off script for my hdpvr to switch my set top box
>> on/off however I can only manually toggle right now until I can find a
>> way to script it into mythtv. It needs to be run whenever Watch TV is
>> started/stopped or whenever a recording starts/stops.
>>
>> I don't THINK this functionality exists right now so the simplest
>> solution is to commit a change to the mythtv source with a link to a
>> mythtv user variable (similar to user jobs) listing a script to be run
>> the start and then another to be run at the end.
>>
>> Any opinions or ideas on this?
>>
>> thanks
>> Brendan
>>
> Although I haven't used it personally, I think that the new System Event
> mechanism will give you what you want.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/SYSTEM_EVENT_%28Myth_Protocol%29
>
> Hope that helps,
> Harry

Don't forget, at the start of any recording or live TV session (which is, after
all, a recording), myth will issue a channel change request to the tuner (your
set-top box in this case).

Those who need extra functionality usually code the commands into their channel
change script. This should cover power off/on, warm-up time and setting the box
into a known state before executing the actual channel change.

--

Mike Perkins