[mythtv-users] How can I get VNC to start on a machine reboot?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 08:18:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 2:40 AM, James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running Mythbuntu 10.04 x32.  Fresh install this weekend.  I have
> disabled autologin for my backend server.  I'd like the VNC server to start
> with the machine on reboot.  I'm using the default XFCE desktop.  Using
> Mythbuntu Control Centre I have the VNC service set to start.  I have also
> put in a password in the MCC for VNC.  When I reboot, the VNC service
> doesn't come up.  Is this because it sits at the login screen on a reboot
> and doesn't auto-log me in?  How can I fix that?  Thanks!

The vnc service you are discussing is x11vnc which is started when a
user's X session is started. It reproduces that user's X session over
vnc, like vnc in windows.

True vnc on linux produces independent X sessions which are not
replicated on the local video card.

Choose which one you want, either logged in and replicated or independent.