[mythtv-users] Moving to Cablevision, involuntarily

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 15 16:11:46 UTC 2010

Looks like my small Cable TV supplier and also ISP (Bresnan) is going to be acquired by Cablevision.

Anything in particular I should watch out for? How Myth friendly (or hostile) is Cablevision? Is everything encrypted? At
present I get a lot of unencrypted QAM, can I expect that to go away?

Any useful info from CV customers would be appreciated.

I'm also concerned about the ISP functions, like bandwidth caps and the like. At present I have no cap and no port
blocking, and a human being answers the support line, obviously I'd like to keep that, but I suspect the prospects are
dim, especially as industry insiders seem to think that Cablevision is grossly over-paying for Bresnan, and of course they
will want to get that back.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/cablevision-buys-bresnan-for-14-billion-2010-06-14-91900