[mythtv-users] Moving to Cablevision, involuntarily

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 15 21:51:09 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, June 15, 2010 02:05:38 pm Daniel Kristjansson wrote:

> I have the small business internet package. It's advertised as 5 Mbps
> upstream and accounts for $80/mo of the bill. I consistently get 4.5
> Mbps at peak times and a 5.1 Mbps in the wee hours. In the last couple
> years it's been reliable for me, but I know people have had multi day
> outages. Their online form for setting up reverse DNS yourself has been
> broken for years on Firefox, but you can call them and have their
> support personnel do it for you.

Thanks.

I pay about the same for 10 Mbps down and 3 up (2 static IPs). Service has been fair as far as reliability. I do get a
human when I call with a problem, one time the tech's truck pulled in my driveway as I was on the phone with them.

My modem failed a while back, I figured out what the problem was but it took a while to convince them that was the trouble
and get them to replace it. It worked but I was getting massive packet loss, they said they had never heard of a modem
doing that, they have now :-)

A do-it-yourself reverse DNS setup would be nice, but if it doesn't work I won't be any worse off I guess. I can call and
get it changed in about an hour now.

> As far as cable company evil goes they are in the middle of the pack.

I was wondering if they are like Comcast where everything they can legally encrypt is encrypted (as well as some that are
questionable in that regard), all Firewire is locked down, etc., and it looks like all analog is going away market by
market.

I still get many analog channels, but I suspect Bresnan planned to stop that.