[mythtv-users] Prevent Recordings of "Live TV" from Splitting, Etc

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 11:36:19 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 8:45 PM, tosds9 at gmail.com <tosds9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I say that Watch TV splits content on the 00 and 30 of every hour, I do
> NOT mean based on the time of recording. Rather, I mean based on the time of
> playback/transfer to my computer. It is possible that the DVR in my cable
> box uses multiple files to store one show. However, because the splits
> happen so predictably whenever the real time is on the 00 or 30 of an hour,
> I am still convinced that a setting in MythTV is causing the file splitting.

Do you have listings data?
When watching live tv, MythTV will create a new file for every show.
So, if you're trying to record your previously recorded shows on a
channel where you have listings data that doesn't match what you're
recording, you're going to get a new file everytime a new show starts
according to the listings. So, if there's a bunch of 30-minute shows
in a row on the channel that MythTV thinks it's recording you will
will get a bunch of 30-minute files when using watch tv.
If you want to record your shows this way you'll have to find a
program that's longer than your show, and record it during that
program.

On the other program front, sorry I only use MythTV, and occasionally
cat. There should be a program out there that will let you record
directly from your tuner, but I don't know what it is.

Fred