[mythtv-users] Good card for VDPAU high quality?

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Fri Jun 11 02:55:59 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Matt Goebel <matt at goebelnet.com> wrote:
> I have a couple n210-md512h in my Mythfrontends.  I got them because they
> were cheap, fanless VDPAU C cards and do 5.1 audio (which works with F12 and
> the alsa drivers from atrpms).  For the most part they've worked well but
> I'm only able to get playback with VDPAU normal.  The picture is  generally
> pretty good but I can see some very faint horizontal lines, particularly
> when there is a lot of motion.  If I switch to VDPAU high quality they seem
> to go away and there is a noticeable improvement in picture quality.... but
> it stutters a little.  I'm thinking of buying better 220 or better cards to
> replace them.  Can anyone suggest something decent?  I'd like:
>
> Must work well with VDPAU High Quality (duh)
> Something that runs cooler.  I know I'm looking at a fan but if it's quiet
> that's ok.
> Must have HDMI out and work with a Samsung DLP and LCD (I've read cards/TV
> are having issues)
> Must have *working* 5.1 audio or better.  By working I mean work under
> Fedora 12 + alsa-driver from Atrpms...  I just want to grab an RPM for my
> kernel, I'm not compiling alsa every time.  Without this I can't watch my
> H.264/ACC content.
> Prefer if it was under $100

Short version: the only option for a cool running nVidia card with
VDPAU C support is the GT220.

(Well, the GT240 runs quite cool at idle (7.5 watts), and shouldn't
break a sweat running VDPAU, but it'll be more expensive)

I've read that 6 channel and bitstream output is working on the GT220.
(http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_set_up_HDMI_audio_on_nVidia_GeForce_G210%2C_GT220%2C_or_GT240)

Cards from most brands are identical except for the cooler, so just
search for reviews commenting on noise levels.

- Chris