[mythtv-users] Prevent Recordings of "Live TV" from Splitting, Etc

Jake jakeisawake at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 19:36:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 2:35 AM, tosds9 at gmail.com <tosds9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for correcting my understanding of "capture card"! :-)
>
> I've tried capturing using Kino, both as a standard user and as root,
> but Kino doesn't see the cable box. The dvgrab package is installed. I
> get the following output when running sudo dvgrab in the command line:
> Found AV/C device with GUID 0x002180fffef58a1c "" 0.00 MiB 0 frames
> Capture Stopped Error: no DV.
>
> There's no /dev/video0 on my laptop, and running sudo /dev/dv1394/0 >
> best_of_the_best_s01e01.mpg resulted in output saying that /dev/dv1394
> "is a directory". A process ran in Terminal when I entered sudo
> cat /dev/dv1394/0 > best_of_the_best_s01e01.mpg into the command line,
> but there was now output and when I closed the Terminal the resulting
> file had a size of 0 MB (i.e. it was empty). Incidentally, I cannot find
> any evidence in System => Preferences => Multimedia Selector that Ubuntu
> sees my cable box as a video device.

not being a firewire user this may be totally off base but why would
you think that the cable dvr is streaming you recorded programs out
the firewire? i can't imagine the tv hooks up to the dvr through
firewire. i think people are confused because they assume you are
capturing off the cable dvr's a/v out in which case you would have a
capture card capturing the output. the capture card could vary
depending on what types of a/v out you cable dvr has.

if you want to tune the current cable feed you can do that through the
firewire if the channel is unencrypted but you can't capture off the
firewire to get previously recorded video. at least that's my
understanding of the process.

hope that helps!