[mythtv-users] .23 Sound Issues............Please God shoot me now!!

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 2 04:57:03 UTC 2010

On 2 June 2010 03:13, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 2 June 2010 10:29, Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On my frontend using either ALSA:Default or Pulseaudio:default gives
>> me either no sound or sound for a while then it vanishes with nothing
>> in the logs to indicate why.  Alsa:spdif works fine but doesn't allow
>> me to control the volume the way I'd like to.  Has anyone got sound
>
> So set the audio device to:
> ALSA:spdif
> set the number of speakers as required (either stereo or 5.1) ; if 5.1
> check AC3 and DTS as required
> Set audio mixer to "software" if you want to control the volume from
> myth ; disable the mixer all together if you want the control the
> volume on your amp directly (preferred)
>
> Make sure the spdif output isn't muted by running alsamixer and
> checking the IEC958 output
>
> Don't follow guides telling you that to get surround sound you need to
> set it as "stereo" ; those guides are obsolete with 0.23
>

>> working out to an external amp using either alsa:default or
>> pulseaudio:default and if so could you let me know anything you had to
>> tweak to get it working please.
>>
>> I'm running .23 on Fedora 13 from the rpmfusion repos.
>>
>> The frontend has an optical out to a spdif connected amplifier.
>
> I'm surprised ALSA:default would have worked for you before, with a
> digital audio connection
>
> Jean-Yves

Guys

Thanks for the ideas.....I should have been a bit clearer about how I
was doing it before.

In my .22 setup I had added commands to .lircrc to allow the master
volume to be controlled using a combination of irexec commands via
pulseaudio, there is a specific lirc-pulseaudio module.

So in effect my .22 setup did this.

Mythtv --> Alsa Default --> Pulseaudio --> spdif out to Amp.

Rather then having to have two remotes to hand for when whatever
program started with super loud volume enabled, some channels were
worse then others admittedly, I only needed to have 1 remote in sight.
The only exception to this was when something was playing 5.1 when I
had to have the Amp remote to hand, it just made day to day usability
that much easier.

Now all of this worked fine and dandy for nearly 9 months before I did
the .23 upgrade, now it seems that there's a break somewhere in the
chain and it's a major PITA.

I realise I can get it working using the mythtv  Alsa Spdif output and
use the amplifier remote, it's just not the way I want to go and
reduces the WAF a lot.

So back to the original question.

Did people have to tweak anything to get alsa default or pulseaudio
default working?

Thanks in advance.