[mythtv-users] .23 Sound Issues............Please God shoot me now!!

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 02:13:43 UTC 2010

Hi

On 2 June 2010 10:29, Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On my frontend using either ALSA:Default or Pulseaudio:default gives
> me either no sound or sound for a while then it vanishes with nothing
> in the logs to indicate why.  Alsa:spdif works fine but doesn't allow
> me to control the volume the way I'd like to.  Has anyone got sound

So set the audio device to:
ALSA:spdif
set the number of speakers as required (either stereo or 5.1) ; if 5.1
check AC3 and DTS as required
Set audio mixer to "software" if you want to control the volume from
myth ; disable the mixer all together if you want the control the
volume on your amp directly (preferred)

Make sure the spdif output isn't muted by running alsamixer and
checking the IEC958 output

Don't follow guides telling you that to get surround sound you need to
set it as "stereo" ; those guides are obsolete with 0.23

> working out to an external amp using either alsa:default or
> pulseaudio:default and if so could you let me know anything you had to
> tweak to get it working please.
>
> I'm running .23 on Fedora 13 from the rpmfusion repos.
>
> The frontend has an optical out to a spdif connected amplifier.

I'm surprised ALSA:default would have worked for you before, with a
digital audio connection

Jean-Yves