[mythtv-users] remote frontend database access problems

Sunil Goda samoapopalopa at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 1 17:50:36 UTC 2010

Hi.  I have one combined frontend/backend and one remote frontend all running Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx).  My combined machine works fine, but my remote frontend can not access my mythconverg database.  My setup was working fine before, but after upgrading from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.04, I have been unable to remotely access the database.  I realize that this has been discussed before, but I've implemented all of the fixes that I could find and I still have access problems.   Hopefully someone can tell me what I missed.

Here are some details: the following command (being run on the combined frontend/backend) works fine to give me access to the mythconverg database:
$ mysql -u mythtv -p -h localhost mythconverg

However, altering the hostname to the host's IP address on the same combined frontend/backend machine gives an error:
$ mysql -u mythtv -p -h 192.168.2.103 mythconverg
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'supicomp.local' (using password: YES)

My /etc/mysql/my.cnf file is the standard Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) default file with only the bind-address being altered:
# Instead of skip-networking the default is now to listen only on
# localhost which is more compatible and is not less secure.
bind-address        = 0.0.0.0
The "skip-networking" command is not my.cnf.

I have granted permissions to user mythtv for the mythconverg database by executing:
$ mysql -u root mythconverg
mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%" identified by "mythtv";
mysql> flush privileges;

I'm not fully sure what netstat actually does, but I've seen references to using it for diagnostic purposes.  Here is what I get:
$ netstat -ln | grep mysql
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     4993     /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

Finally, nmap tells me that the default mysql port is listening:
$ nmap 192.168.2.103 | grep mysql
3306/tcp open  mysql

If anyone can tell me what further troubleshooting I should perform or how I can fix this problem, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
  Sunil