[mythtv-users] getting surround sound to amp when hdmi goes to TV

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Jul 12 15:45:25 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 23:47 -0400, jansenj wrote:
> This is a bit off topic since it has nothing to do with myth.
> Currently I have video going to TV via dvi, and audio to an amp using
> coax spdif.  If I wanted to get audio on my tv as well, what are my
> options and still retain surround sound at the amp?  I have a video
> card that supports hdmi, but I haven't tried to get audio working on
> it yet.

Well, if your TV is a Samsung, then the option of going from your source
to your TV via HDMI and then optical from the TV to the receiver is a no
go.  Samsung cripple the connection from the TV to the receiver.

My step-son's LG TV does not (that is, source->hdmi->tv->spdif->reciever
and every source is able to get it's 5.1 sound to the receiver).  Going
to try to return my Samsung TV and get an LG.  Thanx but no thanx