[mythtv-users] Many new dvd's not working

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 15:48:44 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> A problem with some of these recent "protection" schemes is that they have significant "collateral damage", many
> "legitimate" DVD players won't play the new disks. They count on the fact that most people won't figure out what's
> happening, and perhaps blame their "old" player.
>
> If people started to return players to the store, complaining that they won't play certain disks, that might get
> "Walmart's" attention even more than disk returns.
>
> But handling a return on a disk that has a profit margin of pennies is a losing proposition for a retailer, a great "stone
> in the shoe". Good idea.

These days I don't even waste my time seeing if DVDs will play in xine
or the MythTV internal player or anything else.  I just rip them to my
backend with DVDFabDecryptor (perhaps the only program there is that
will get past all of that bullshit) and watch them from there.  In the
case of rentals I delete them when we've watched them.  I'm not out to
steal anything, I just want to watch it without any issues.

I actually feel guilty even renting anything with these blatant
anti-consumer practices going on.  I *should* be flat out boycotting
them.

Isn't it amazing how the movie industry has done everything imaginable
to follow in the footsteps of the totally failed music industry?

I'll tell you another DVD thing that pisses me off...I actually like
previews when I rent DVDs.  Have you noticed how much of that has been
replaced with hype touting the wonders of Blowme-Ray?  Jeez...they can
all go straight to hell.

Tom