[mythtv-users] mythfrontend vs mythfrontend.real

Clay ctmythtv at pacbell.net
Thu Jul 8 20:13:09 UTC 2010

Brian Fischer wrote:
> Just wondering the difference between mythfrontend and mythfrontend.real?
>
> After some extended googling, the only mention I could find is on the
> wiki under http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Feature_Wishlist_(Frontend_Addons)
>
> It seems on an Ubuntu system both of these can be run which makes for
> some confusion

Just a guess, based on my use of both, myth*.real is the application and
myth* points to the application with some bells and whistles added.

For instance, mythtv-setup forces one to stop the backend.
mythtv-setup.real only warns of possible issues with running it while
the backend is up.

I haven't noticed any difference running mythfrontend.real vs
mythfrontend, or backend vs backend.real.
Up until this week it's all been on 0.21 so maybe I'll find different
things now that I'm on 0.23.