[mythtv-users] Myth UI Performance bottlenecks

Matt Beadon matt.beadon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 19:32:02 UTC 2010

Has anyone looked into what factors most affect the FE UI performance on a
combined FE/BE?

I'm using Graphite on 0.23-fixes and sometimes when I'm navigating the menus
I notice that screens can take a several seconds to load.  The worst
examples are generally loading the "watch recordings" and "listen to music"
menus.  My music is sitting on a separate drive that is probably spun down
but my recordings drive should nearly always be running so I don't
understand that delay.  In addition there is sometimes a long delay (3-5sec)
after exiting a recording before the list of shows comes back up.

Has anyone tried things like:
-moving mysql DB to USB flash, SSD, or ramdrive?  Any benefit there?
-moving "small" (posters, banners, etc ) storage groups to a faster drive?

I think that my Core2 E6600 with 2GB of RAM and GT220 should be sufficient
to run myth FE/BE + all my background services (lightly loaded subsonic,
apache2, & samba servers) without hitting cpu bottlenecks but perhaps I need
to reconsider?  I've also never been quite satisfied that my cpu frequency
scaling was really working the way it should with vdpau but I did change
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold=60

FWIW I'm running ubuntu 9.10.  I'm interested to hear what performance
related experiments people have done.

cheers,
Matt