[mythtv-users] Need help with Hauppauge HRV-1600 IR Blaster and lirc_zilog in Mythbuntu .23/10.04

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sun Jul 4 02:19:23 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 12:27 PM, David Lasker <dave at altosdesign.com> wrote:
> So it looks to me like the receive part of the driver is working.

Yep, that all looks sane.

> So I changed hardware.conf like this:
>
> REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_zilog"
> REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
> TRANSMITTER_MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_zilog"
> TRANSMITTER_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
>
> and reboot. After the reboot I see that both /dev/lirc0 and /dev/lirc1 are
> created:
>
> dave at mythtv:~$ ls /dev/lirc*
> /dev/lirc0  /dev/lirc1  /dev/lircd  /dev/lircd1
>
> Is that supposed to happen?

No. This is because of debian/ubuntu's brain-dead setup, which I've
long since filed a bug against, not being bright enough to simply ask
the user "hey, are the rx and tx device one in the same, because if
they are, I should only start ONE lircd and not create this bogus
second device node!". Oh, and the inclusion of lirc_dev on the
_MODULES lines is almost as dumb. If you modprobe
lirc_anything_but_dev, lirc_dev is *always* automagically also loaded,
because modprobe is bright enough to understand that lirc_dev is a
dependency of every single lirc_anything_but_dev module.

In short, the proper hardware.conf for your device should omit all
references to lirc_dev, as well as removing the redundant
TRANSMITTER_* lines. All you need is the one section and the one
lircd.conf from Mark's pages, which has all the needed bits for both
rx from the bundled remote and tx.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com